Sunday, May 13, 2007

Banksy fansite No.38746

"Any advertisement in public space that gives you no choice whether you see it or not is yours. It belongs to you. It’s yours to take, re-arrange and re-use. Asking for permission is like asking to keep a rock that someone has just thrown at your head."


OK, admittedly I'm not exactly setting a trend here but thanks to the insights of Chia, a coffee table book and various London walls I've come to discover the worlds best known graffito artist, Banksy.

I think at heart he is basically a shit stirrer although admittedly a very moral and clever one.


In addition to the large volume of stencil work he has also pulled a few scams placing bogus satirical works in museums. The piece in the British Museum was a very funny. His websiteis also worth a gander.

He has also done some work on the Segregation wall (680Km wall to isolate a section of Palestine) in Israel which gets the point across.


I also love the sardonic overtone of the whole scene. They certainly aren't the pretentious bunch of twats from the traditional art schools. Well, at least they are a different type of pretentious twats. A couple of quotes I found amusing:

"All artists are prepared to suffer for there work but why are so few prepared to learn to draw?"

"There are no excepts to the rule that everyone thinks they are an exception to the rule."


"Leave the house quick before you find something worth staying in for."

8 Comments:

At 6:30 pm, Blogger tangles said...

I discovered another London Banksy the other day - near Camdon if you do a short cut to Primrose Hill on the way to yoga, say, just past the overpass. It is the one where the lady is sweeping stuff under the wall. It is pretty cool, but other graff artists aren't showing it alot of respect at the mo.

 
At 6:35 pm, Blogger tangles said...

Oooh.. Also - people - you know how I use the word "amn't"? As in - "Am not"? Well - for your viewing pleasure, I give you the first other use of the term in popular culture.

Mogwai track called Moses I Amn't.

I will email it to you.

Sorry Choco. Just took over your blog temporarily for my own purposes. It really should have gone on mine, but there is mildew growing on mine. I will have to give it a Spring cleaning soon.

 
At 12:06 am, Blogger m said...

Choco you have a bit of spare time up yourself... why dont you start the Choco rebellion.... start putting up your own graffiti.... if they wont employ you, let them suffer... and you could entertain millions at the same time.

 
At 4:20 am, Blogger K said...

do it!

 
At 10:26 am, Blogger ceedy said...

If only I had the artistic talent or, more importantly, felt strongly enough about something I believed in strongly enough I'd be out painting the town red (and blue and yellow and green (although I'd have trouble differentiating this from red (unless it was bright red))).

Tangles, my blog is your blog as they say.

 
At 6:25 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Choco: start a "save I rocks name" graffiti campaign in London!!!

 
At 9:00 am, Blogger K said...

there is only one I-rock!
x

 
At 1:46 am, Blogger lil' bro said...

1I,1ROCK

 

Post a Comment

<< Home