In tune and on time
I had to go to Tokyo for work last minute to do some training so thought I'd head out early and spend the weekend looking around. Managed to get business flights out of work which is nice although, I must say, I can't help but feel guilty. I'm essentially paying 3-4K more than an economy fare in order to be comfortable for 30 hours. 3K GBP is a lot for 30 hours of comfort. My initial thought was; "I would happily be uncomfortable for an extra 3K in my bank", which was quickly followed by the thought; "maybe I should get my boss to donate the difference to charity"? Anyway, we'll see if I'm more morally focused next time.
Right, Tokyo itself is not nearly as mad or as intimidating as I had expected. I went the Roppongi Hills Observation Deck today which is 270m above sea level and this drilled home the fact that Tokyo is indeed MASSIVE, on street level though it is more than manageable. There is even a fair bit of English written on street signs and the subway so getting around is a breeze. The street names and actual addresses don't make much sense but general navigation is pretty easy.
Anyway, this leads me to a few observations:
1) The people here are VERY lawful. If a sign says something, people will do it. This includes not crossing the road without the little green man, only walking within the bounds of pedestrian crossings, not walking on grass or anything else they are directed to do. Doesn't sound that weird until you experience it.
2) I don't know how big the Japanese fishing zone is but it will soon have no fish. I went to the fish market today the the scale was incomprehensible. I know Japan is a nation with a strong fishing history and their primary food is based around it but there is simply no way the volume they consume is sustainable.
3) It's a pretty nice place. The gardens are peaceful, the electronics stores are huge, the lights are bright, the sushi is plentiful (for now), the gadgets are weird, STUFF is everywhere and the people a polite and helpful.
Right, I've got another few days here then a quick trip to Singapore before back to the UK.

2 Comments:
Welcome back to the Bloggersphere! Photos look great, love the cherry blossoms.
I think it would be easier to be morally upstanding if you were not so tall.
Hey Boz
How is that quick trip to Singapore going?! He he (-:
K & H
Post a Comment
<< Home